The Department of International Legal Communication (DILC) was established July 1, 2021 by virtue of the Dean’s Ordinance and based on the resolution issued by the Council of the Faculty of Applied Linguistics of the University of Warsaw. It continues the activities launched and conducted by the International Legal Communication Research Center (ILCRC, established February 1, 2019) as well as the Department of Specialist Communicology. The DILC bundles manifold law & communication – related interdisciplinary activities.
Legal Communication is an interdisciplinary area of research, requiring cooperation between representatives of legal, social and humanistic sciences. Legal communication covers various research problems: refers to both the issues of the effectiveness of the law, consisting of broadly understood messages, translations of legal acts, harmonization of law, undertaken in various contexts of communication between lawyers-practitioners, their contacts with clients – laikas, as well as the impact of new ones Information and media technologies for practicing legal professions. The DILC mission is to connect Law and Communication over all scientific, geographical, political and social divisions.
The DILC Team consists of academics with the expertise in the field of specialist language linguistics, law, communication, specialist translation. The DILC is kindly supported by the DILC Honorary Board. The Members of the Board are notable scholars with various expertise who are prominent in academic circles and thus give a powerful endorsement to the DILC mission. The DILC is most grateful to these distinguished individuals for their commitment to the Center’s assignment and work. The DILC enjoys the friendly support of the DILC External Collaborators who are ready to participate in DILC activities and provide advice and assistance in remote parts of Europe and the world. The DILC collaborates with the MEDEA Association, the main goal of which is the dissemination of knowledge and promoting all kinds of international and interdisciplinary scientific activities, including meetings of experts, debates, projects, conferences, publications.
The DILC operates the Journal of International Legal Communication (JILC) – an international scientific peer-reviewed publication that presents the methodological and empirical research of scientists from different countries and reflects a variety of scientific schools and topics concerning an interdisciplinary approach to legal communication.
The DILC activities are:
- Projects: Our Members apply for external funding of their research at organizations (NCN, DPWS, EU, business).
- Conferences: DILC organizes international conferences and workshops and collaborates in their organisation.
- Cooperation: DILC Members establish and maintain networks with academics from other universities.
- Public Colloquia, seminars and internships: DILC organizes academic events within the scope of its mission.
- Dissemination of knowledge: DILC is actively involved in the popularization of knowledge: publishing on the scientific and extra-scientific level, supporting academics in their qualification phase and providing regular mentoring for students.